Thursday, June 3, 2010

Skydiving!!!

People I’ve been living with are starting to leave and new people are coming, which is strange. I have to do the whole “get to know you thing” over and over again. Luckily there are a few people who got here around the same time as me and who are leaving at the same time as me, so they are a constant. So this past weekend we rented a few cars and drove a few hours to this waterfall/hot springs/hiking area. It wasn’t quite what we expected, but we had a lot of fun hiking through the untouched nature and finally getting to the waterfall, even if we had to turn around really quickly because we were worried the sun was going to set on us.

And now the part I’ve been DYING to blog about. I went skydiving yesterday! (Yes Grandma, I voluntarily jumped out of a plane.) This is something I’ve wanted to do for years, and a few other people here wanted to do it, so I figured there was no better time. It was honestly the best five minutes of my life. I can’t even really describe it, but trust me, it was amazing. I thought that I would be a little more freaked out to actually jump out, but they don’t even give you time to think about it. I was in the plane ready to go and just enjoying the view of Cape Town from above, and then all of a sudden it’s time to go, the door opens, and you just jump – no holding back! The freefall was INCREDIBLE, but way too short. Once the parachute opens, it’s a gentle ride down, but I got to spin around and move and stuff, which was really cool. Not much else I can say about it, all I can say is I am looking forward to the next time I can go skydiving.

My class has been taking exams the past few days, but they were finally done today so we just played games and prepared for our Mini World Cup that the school is having next week. All the classes are assigned a different country that they represent, (my class is Brazil) and we are going to play against each other. All the volunteers are really excited – I’m guessing it will get pretty competitive.

That’s all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment