Sunday, June 13, 2010

World Cup

Every weekend here is something different. The World Cup finally started, and we all have soccer fever. Even though I'm not the biggest soccer fan, I find myself completely absorbed in every game. On Friday we went into Cape Town and just walked around trying to find a TV in a bar or something to watch the South Africa vs. Mexico game. (which was played in Johannesburg) When South Africa scored, the streets went NUTS. It was a HUUUUGE celebration when they tied because they were expected to lose. After that game a few of us walked to the Cape Town stadium just to see what was going on. This one girl and I decided that this might be our only opportunity to go to a game, as everyone else in our house had tickets for a future game except for us. So we waited around until about an hour before the game started and we were able to scalp two tickets with an AMAZING view. (We went to the France vs. Uruguay game -the first game to be played in the new stadium!) Sitting in the brand new stadium with 64,000 other people watching the World Cup was something I will NEVER forget. I don't know if I ever will be in the same city as the World Cup again for the rest of my life, so this really might have been a once in a lifetime opportunity.

On Saturday we woke up early to go into Cape Town to go to the Fifa Fan Fest (a huge screen with lots of room to stand, with music, food, shops, etc) so that we could watch the US vs. England game. Seeing as how most of the people in our house are either from the US or England it was a really intense game for us and everyone around us. I think I hugged/high-fived about fifty perfect strangers just because I had USA painted on my face and I was wearing a US flag. It was so cool to see people get really into the game, and even though we tied, it was still really exciting.

So if I don't blog for the next few days, it is because I am either glued to the TV or at the Fan Fest watching the games. I have World Cup fever!

No comments:

Post a Comment