Friday, October 1, 2010

More Shows

My Theatre in London class saw "Avenue Q" this week. While it wasn't really "British theatre," it was interesting to see their take on it. The script and some of the lyrics are changed from the New York version, usually just changing the American pop culture references to British ones. I actually got most of them too, so I was proud. The show did lose some of its charm, though, as I just thought it wasn't taken as seriously as it is in the states. Sure, it's puppets singing about sex, alcohol, and life's bigger problems, but it had an actual message. And in London, it's just a bunch of naughty puppets. Still funny, but different.

I just got back home from another Friday night show in the West End. I'm enjoying this whole concept of just jumping on the tube, getting of at a stop downtown, and running around trying to find a ticket to anything. This time was more of a struggle, though, and I didn't end up getting a ticket by 730, when most of the shows start. Luckily I found one show that started at 830. It was "Mamma Mia," which I've never actually seen before. It's been around forever, and it's in so many different places, but I just hadn't gotten around to it, yet. I haven't even seen the movie because I've been waiting to see the musical. I managed to snag a really cheap ticket last minute, and I actually had a decent seat. The show was everything I expected: An overdone splash of frills and color, a thin plot line with random ABBA songs strewn in, all complete with an audience that sings along. But overall, it's a fun show that MAKES you want to sing along (but I didn't.) There were two girls next to me who had come to celebrate a birthday. I was talking to them briefly before the show, and then they invited me to have champagne with them at intermission. We became fast friends.

Check out my last post, where I saw "Love Never Dies" and The Saturdays in concert!

No comments:

Post a Comment